From the Assess@CUNY Staff (Vol 2, Issue 1)
The mission of the City University of New York (CUNY) Assessment Council is to foster a culture of assessment and evidence-based decision making within CUNY and among its constituent colleges by identifying, developing and communicating best practices in assessment.
We welcome you to Volume 2, Issue 1 of Assess@CUNY, an online quarterly publication of the CUNY Assessment Council that supports the Council’s Mission. In this issue we bring you three articles written by CUNY faculty and staff, and an announcement of our online course, Assessment 101, which will soon be available to all CUNY faculty, staff, and graduate students.
The articles vary in scope and areas of interest:
- Brief introduction to Assessment 101
- The increasing importance of empathy towards students during the pandemic, centered in an original approach to online teaching supported by formative assessment.
- An analysis of continuing inequality in the US school systems, despite decades of educational reform.
- An historical perspective, including interviews, of how outcome assessment at a CUNY community college came to be valued as critical to student success in the classroom and an office of student services.
The Assessment Council invites you to join us and to contribute as we share ideas, practices, and experiences designed to improve teaching and learning across CUNY.
To learn more about the newsletter, see ‘Submission Policies‘ and ‘About Us‘. Please ‘Subscribe‘ to receive email notifications for new issues and to support the newsletter.
The Assess@CUNY Staff
This entry is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.
- Rendi on The Potential and Pitfalls of Net Promoter Scores (NPS) as a “Business World” Metric in Academic Assessment
- Perhotelan on Combatting a Compliance Mindset by Advocating for Betterment
- Administrasi Bisnis on Interview: with Dr. Natasha Jankowski
- RPLA on How 20 Years of Education Reform Has Created Greater Inequality
- Frances on Ensuring Student Success: Using Formative Assessment as the Key to Communication and Compassion Among Faculty, Students, and Staff
- Academic Affairs
- Administrative Units / AES
- Education Reform
- Formative Assessment
- Fostering Culture
- General Education
- Literature Reviews
- Spotlight on Methods
- Spotlight on People
- Success Stories
- Vol 1, Issue 1 (Feb 2020)
- Vol 1, Issue 2 (Jul 2020)
- Vol 2, Issue 1 (Sept 2020)
- Vol 3, Issue 1 (Nov 2021)
- Vol 3, Issue 2 (Apr 2022)
- Vol 4, Issue 1 (May 2023)